POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Pigment functions... : Re: Pigment functions... Server Time
6 Oct 2024 15:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pigment functions...
From: Kenneth
Date: 12 Sep 2006 23:20:00
Message: <web.45077826a29fb3bbdda07a910@news.povray.org>
Samuel Benge <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> Sometimes the only way to get enough color-saturation in a scene is to
> bump up the assumed gamma and brighten the lights. Or you could put a
> rgbt<1,1,1,2> plane in front of everything....
>
> ~Sam

I like to think of it as a "contrast control" (although that's not what it
was meant for, of course.) Whites stay white and blacks stay black, but all
the intermediate color/grey values can be altered.

BTW, if you have image_maps in your scene...and you want them to stay
looking the same no matter what assumed_gamma you throw at
them...converting them to the png format is the way to go.  But there's a
hitch: You have to "embed" an assumed_gamma of 1 into them somehow. This is
kind of a little quirk (?) with POV-Ray, but a useful one. Photoshop 5 (my
current version) allows this embedding (some graphics apps do, some don't,
apparently.) In Photoshop, the place to look is FILE/COLOR SETTINGS/RGB
SETUP, where you can enter a gamma of 1.  And then turn "Display using
monitor compensation" OFF there, otherwise the image (in PS) will brighten
up and the colors will look washed out.  But the image will reproduce
beautifully in POV-Ray, ignoring assumed_gamma altogether.

Ken W.